Sign up  |   |   |  Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
andrewRR

Registered:
Posts: 2
Reply with quote  #1 
Is it possible to know when a similarity is flagged by Copyscape? In terms of number of words, percent of matching, sequences, or other numeric data?

I have been shown a synonym replacement tool and I need to know how it would work.

Thanks
stapel

Registered:
Posts: 140
Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewRR
Is it possible to know when a similarity is flagged by Copyscape? In terms of number of words, percent of matching, sequences, or other numeric data? I have been shown a synonym replacement tool and I need to know how it would work.

It sounds as though you are wanting to know at what point a "derivative" work (one based upon and substantially containing an original work) becomes, effectively, a distinct (non-identical) article in the eyes of Copyscape. Is this correct?

Are you having problems with people scraping your pages, running them through a word-replacement filter, and then posting your stuff as their own? And then claiming that it's "their" work, because a few words were swapped out for their synonyms? And you're having trouble finding these plagiarised versions of your work?

Thank you.

Eliz.

andrewRR

Registered:
Posts: 2
Reply with quote  #3 
Yes. Someone copied my article and removed my credit. But the claim one every 10 words was synonymized, so the new article no longer is mine.

My question is how many words need to be changed for copyscape not to detect the copy, and eventually for a court to reject my copyright claim.
stapel

Registered:
Posts: 140
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewRR
Someone copied my article and removed my credit. But the claim one every 10 words was synonymized, so the new article no longer is mine.

What they did was create a "derivative" work. You should have a claim, but, because of the slight changes made, it will probably cost more to prosecute. Speak to your attorney for more-specific information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewRR
My question is how many words need to be changed for copyscape not to detect the copy...

This is probably proprietary information, since it would relate to the algorithms being used. You'd probably need to contact Copyscape directly to obtain any available information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewRR
...and eventually for a court to reject my copyright claim.

This is an entirely different issue. Copyscape is a service which makes suggestions based on an algorithm. A court is a legal venue which makes binding decisions based on determined facts and black-letter law.

The judge will not rely on Copyscape to make his decision. Your lawyer can explain this to you in more detail.

Eliz.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.